Sunday 25 June 2017

Tuesday's with Morrie

Tuesday's with Morrie 


Personally, I do not like reading books that glorify lessons from life and experiences or are in a way motivational. 

My 20th birthday, my friends gifted me a small book, almost the size of my palm. 
When I read the title, I was both happy and sad. Happy, because I like reading and that was probably the most meaningful gift. Sad, because it seemed to me like another way to get me out of my not-so happy phase - to read a book that teaches you life lessons. 
I won't deny, I was going through a tough phase, but nothing could actually convince me to read the book that was left to decorate my book shelf with the others. 

On my way back home for Christmas holidays, I found myself pitying the book that my friends had gifted me so thoughtfully. I decided to read it on the flight. It wasn't much to read in a couple of hours ( for those who have seen a copy of the book). So, once I was all settled with a cup of masala chai, I started reading. I found myself flipping the pages one by one, not being able to stop myself. For almost three hours, I dug my head into the little novel, imagining every conversation that took place between Morrie and the author. 

This book, is by far one of the very few that have had an impact on me. It is not a fat, hardbound book with font that will force you to squint while reading. The simple language and the personal style of writing is what kept me glued. 

To a certain extent, it is an autobiography by Mitch Albom, but more than that it is the author’s recollection of a series of visits to a beloved, terminally ill college professor, Morrie Schwartz and fond memories assicoated with him.

We all have that one person in our lives, someone who is mature, patient and wise. It is they, who understand you, even though you’re young and reckless. They help you see the world as a more insightful place as well as give you sound advice and guide you through it. For Mitch, it was Morrie - his mentor, guide, friend and companion.

Morrie taught Mitch, almost 20 years back, in Brandeis University and since he graduated Mitch had always wanted to be a successful journalist, earn and have a fat bank balance. He did manage to achieve all of this, but the materialism  got the better of him. Years later, he heard Morrie on a TV show talking about Death and decided to reach out to him again. He got to know that his professor was suffering from ALS (remember the Ice Bucket Challenge?), that left Morrie with a few months to live . Since then, every Tuesday was spent with Morrie - looking out for the meaning of life. 

We’re Tuesday people.” they said. 
For the next couple of weeks Mitch went back to Morrie, but no longer did they talk about sociology like they did in College. They talked about the world, regrets, mistakes, death, the fear of growing old and forgiveness. I, for one could relate to these concepts as philosophical as they may sound. 

Morrie, was an excellent teacher and Mitch Albom has very simplistically,  communicated all that Morrie wanted to tell the world before leaving. 

This book has taught me more than my life experiences in the last 21 years have – not that I have had a lot of experiences. However, I personally believe that ‘Tuesday’s with Morrie’, is a great book with so many life lessons and that can be so very important to each and every one of us.

It is always the small  things in life that bring us  more joy. Someone, but we do not know who, very rightly said, ‘Money cannot buy happiness'. The simplest things in life, like receiving flowers or helping someone in need and even just doing something nice to make someone’s day – these matter. Retail therapy might make you feel better, but that's momentary. 

Live in the moment. Don't worry about growing old or whether or not you'll achieve success. Work, success, achievements and the like will follow as long as you’re doing what your heart tells you to do. The happier you are, the happier people and things around you will seem. 

Forgive, not only others but also yourself If there’s one thing I’ve learnt from my life experiences, is that the more grudges you hold, will cause only you to feel more hurt. The other person probably doesn't even care. If they did Something bad to you, let Karma do the job. Don’t sweat it and stoop so low to take revenge, just don’t. If you've made mistakes, don't regret them. Nobody is perfect. You only learn from mistakes. 

It is okay to cry. You don’t have to be strong all the time. It’s okay to let your guard down. So just CRY. It’ll ease the pain, that’s all.

Value your friends and your family because they will always be there. Don’t leave behind those who matter to you in the pursuit of success. They’ll be standing right there when you fail, your support system. 

'Either you learn to love each other or die.’ - Morrie. Love is the most powerful emotion that we are privileged to feel so live everything that comes your way. 

If the ways of the world doesn’t ‘suit’ your own lifestyle, create your own – Dare to be different. There’s no harm in it.

This book is not just a book, but an experience I feel everyone should share. And, if this doesn’t compel you to read the book, I fail to understand what will. So go ahead, spare a Tuesday and spend it with Morrie and Mitch. It’ll be worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment